Home » , , , » Granite Tile Sharpening Station

Granite Tile Sharpening Station

Written By shiva on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 | 8:30 PM

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download

I think Ive mentioned a couple of times that I am setting up a hand tool woodworking shop at my new school. So far, making our workbenches has been the dominant project. My students have been learning how to saw and glue up the bench tops. Were about ready to start planing the tops flat and smooth, so its time to sharpen up some planes!

Well be using the Scary Sharp system, but since space is at a premium in the school shop, I decided not to make a dedicated bench station like I have at home. I also didnt want to use glass plates. What I needed was a movable station, that could temporarily sit on a bench, with granite tiles to hold the abrasive sheets.

Heres what I came up with, as well as the tool kit used to make it:


So far it has worked great! The tiles might not be as flat as glass, but I havent noticed a difference in the results. Im also experimenting with a non-toxic spray adhesive for bonding the abrasive sheets to the granite. Ive always used, and hated, the standard spray adhesives, which work very well, but are extremely nasty. Im hoping this new product works out (it bonds well, my only concern at this point is how long it will last).

TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

0 comments:

Post a Comment