Home » , , , » VERDIGRIS MIRRORS how to

VERDIGRIS MIRRORS how to

Written By shiva on Sunday, February 23, 2014 | 4:00 PM

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
 
 
I painted some vintage oval mirrors in a turquoise verdigris look awhile back
and have not got around to sharing the technics I used, until now.


 
Verdigris is the common name for the natural green patina
formed when copper, brass or bronze is weathered
and exposed to air or seawater over a period of time.
 
 
This technic works for mirrors that were originally gold.
The gold color is going to take place of your copper, brass or bronze.
 
 
I originally painted the gold frames in a latex white and they sat around long enough to fully cure
(1 month), this is going to be a tough layer of paint to work with.
 
 
I painted the turquoise over the white latex.
My turquoise was a mix of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Florence and white mixed to tone it down.
I scrubbed back the turquoise to expose the white with a kitchen sponge
and I use a razor blade to scrape back the white exposing the gold.
The oxidation process is rather rough and unpredictable and using
the different paints helped achieve the look.
 
 
Have A Great Weekend!!!
 
 
 
 
TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

0 comments:

Post a Comment